Dianne C. Mehany is a Member in Caplin & Drysdale's Washington, D.C., office. She joined the firm in 2010.
Ms. Mehany's practice focuses on international tax planning and controversies, including inbound and outbound tax planning, foreign tax credits, tax treaties, tax audits, and FATCA planning and compliance. She also has experience in tax compliance of individuals, companies and financial institutions in the cross-border context, including FATCA reporting, reporting of interests in foreign trusts, and offshore financial accounts and assets.
Ms. Mehany's practice also encompasses income and succession planning for wealthy individuals and families, including pre-immigration planning and expatriations, and foreign trusts.
In addition to advising clients in these areas, Ms. Mehany has extensive experience advising individual and corporate clients in federal civil and criminal tax controversy matters. She guides clients through all stages of IRS disputes, including preparing protests of IRS actions, representing clients at appeals conferences, filing petitions in the Tax Court and complaints in District Court, and assisting with trial matters and settlement discussions. Moreover, Ms. Mehany has counseled individual clients and financial institutions on the U.S. government's investigation of undisclosed foreign assets, particularly with respect to the classification of foundation and trust structures.
Recent Speaking Engagements
Ms. Mehany speaks before many professional associations and conferences. Her recent engagements include:
- Speaker, Subpart F Income Tax: Its Scope and Application to US Shareholders, ABA Tax Section, January 19, 2017
- Speaker, Trust Distributions to Foreign Beneficiaries, Strafford, January 5, 2017
- Speaker, Mastering Form 3520: Reporting Foreign Trust Activities on U.S. Income Tax Returns, Strafford, July 14, 2016
- Speaker, FATCA: How It Affects Every Practice, American Academy of Attorney-CPAs, June 23, 2016
- Speaker, Aetna International Customer Forum, Aetna International, November 3, 2015
- Panelist, Residence: Beyond the Basics, American Bar Association, 2015 Joint Fall CLE Meeting, September 18, 2015
- Seminar H: The Taxation of Global Families, International Fiscal Association, Basel 2015, September 2, 2015
- Navigating U.S. Tax Requirements and Strategic Methods of Coming into Compliance, Caplin & Drysdale, Chartered and Ham, Langston & Brezina LLP, U.S. Tax Requirements and Compliance Seminar, March 11, 2015
- Panelist, A Primer on Tax Treaties, American Bar Association, 2015 Midyear Meeting, January 31, 2015
- Panelist, How Many Shades of Grey? Current Ethical Issues for Tax Professionals, 66th Annual Virginia Conference on Federal Taxation, June 11, 2014
- Panelist, Meeting the Ethical Challenges of Inbound Controversies, American Bar Association, 2014 May Meeting, May 9, 2014
- Moderator, First Time on the Bench: Perspectives from Tax Court Judges, American Bar Association, 2014 May Meeting, May 9, 2014
- Panelist, Nuts & Bolts Series: International Tax Enforcement: FBARs, FATCA, and More, American Bar Association, 2014 May Meeting, May 8, 2014
- Panelist, Issue Spotting Across the Globe for Expatriate Executive Packages, American Bar Association, Joint Committee on Employee Benefits Webinar, December 17, 2013
- Speaker, Advising Clients with International Tax Issues: Form Numbers, PFIC and More, American Law Institute (ALI) CLE, Hot Topics for Accountants & Tax Lawyers: Tax Returns, Advice, & Examination, December 16, 2013
- Panelist, Leaving the U.S. – It's Very Different from Leaving Las Vegas. Tax Planning for U.S. Persons Living and Working Abroad, American Bar Association, 2013 Joint Fall CLE Meeting, September 20, 2013
- Panelist, Coping With FATCA If You're Not a Foreign Financial Institution, American Bar Association, 2013 May Meeting, May 10, 2013
- Speaker, The Ethical Framework - Duties of the Tax Practitioner to the Client and to the System, University of Virginia Tax Foundation, 64th Annual Conference on Federal Taxation, June 7, 2012
- Speaker, The Road Less Traveled: Exploring Niche Tax Practices, American Bar Association, 2012 May Meeting, May 1, 2012
- Moderator, The New Application of Transferee Liability, American Bar Association, 2011 Midyear Meeting, January 21, 2011
- Moderator, Tax Consequences of Disasters, American Bar Association, 2010 Joint Fall CLE Meeting, September 24, 2010
- Speaker, Four Actions Explained in Forty Minutes, American Bar Association, 2009 Fall Joint Meeting, September 24, 2009
- Speaker, Forever Ought to be Worth a Lot: Defending Perpetual Conservation Easements, Chamberlain Hrdlicka Law Firm, 2008 Annual Tax Forum, December 17, 2008
- Panelist, Getting the Most Out of Your Expert Witness in Tax Cases, American Bar Association, 2008 Joint Fall Meeting, September 22, 2008