Joanne Youn has more than 15 years of national practice in all areas of employee benefits law, including ERISA, HIPAA, COBRA, and, more recently, the Affordable Care Act. Her understanding of the relevant regulatory and compliance issues currently facing employers provides her clients with customized, compliant solutions to their plan design and administration needs. Clients include domestic companies, multinational corporations with U.S. subsidiaries and/or U.S. executives, governmental entities, and a range of tax-exempt employers, including faith-based organizations, public charities, and private foundations.
Additionally, she collaborates with other professional service providers in the employee benefits area, such as plan auditors and HR consultants, along with attorneys in complementary fields, such as labor and employment and corporate governance, to provide her clients with a full range of services.
Ms. Youn is fluent in Mandarin Chinese and Spanish.
She has significant experience with qualified and nonqualified deferred compensation plans. Representative engagements include:
- Advising on plan design choices and operational issues;
- Drafting and amending plan documents, including for legislative and regulatory changes;
- Drafting formal and informal employee communications and forms;
- Advising on strategies for correcting plan defects;
- Counseling on fiduciary obligations;
- Negotiating treatment of employee benefits in corporate mergers and acquisitions; and
- Advising on the effect of workforce restructurings, including early-retirement windows, phased retirement, and reductions in force.
Health and Welfare Plans
Ms. Youn regularly advises clients with regard to the management of fully-insured and self-insured health and welfare plans, including compliance and documentation under PPACA, HIPAA, COBRA, and Medicare Part D. Representative engagements include:
- Advising on potential excise taxes;
- Drafting policies, procedures, and other administrative documents; and
- Providing guidance on proper internal controls and reporting requirements.
She frequently represents her clients' interests in complex employee benefits matters before the IRS, DOL, and PBGC. Notable representations include:
- Submitting comments and requesting rulings on issues of first impression;
- Negotiating closing agreements in audits involving compliance issues for large and small qualified plans; and
- Obtaining favorable resolution of technical issues through corrective programs and advance consultation with governmental agencies.
Ms. Youn demonstrates thought leadership in numerous high-profile issues affecting her clients. As part of that effort, she advises on CLE programming in the area of employee benefits law for the Employee Benefits Advisory Panel of the American Law Institute. She serves as Caplin & Drysdale's foreign counsel liaison for business development activities in China and is a member of the Christian Leadership Alliance, a training and development organization for Christian ministries, educational institutions, and businesses.
She is also active in the tax community and the minority bar.