William D. Fournier, an Associate in Caplin & Drysdale's Washington, D.C., office, joined the firm in 2011. He was previously a Summer Associate with the firm.
Mr. Fournier works on a broad range of tax issues for tax-exempt organizations and assists high-net-worth individuals (HNWIs) and their families in achieving their philanthropic objectives.
Mr. Fournier provides a diverse set of tax-exempt organizations with comprehensive legal advice. He offers guidance to private foundations, public charities, educational institutions, religious organizations, social welfare organizations, and other tax-exempt entities on a variety of legal matters, including:
- assisting with IRS compliance and reporting;
- guiding clients in matters involving corporate governance and general operations;
- advising on international grantmaking and cross-border operations, including associated withholding and reporting requirements;
- counseling on the creation of joint ventures and the operation of subsidiaries and affiliated nonprofits;
- minimizing unrelated business income tax; and
- helping clients establish or re-establish exempt status following automatic revocation.
In addition, Mr. Fournier assits HNWIs andtheir families in designing and implementing strategies to achieve philanthropic goals. Examples of Mr. Fournier's legal services include:
- advising on the operation and governance of family foundations;
- devising philanthropic plans that utilize direct charitable giving, donor advised funds, charitable remainder trusts, and family foundations; and
- assisting domestic and international clients with developing sophisticated estate plans, including planning for lifetime gifts, charitable giving, and dynastic transfers.Highlights
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Fournier served as a Nuclear Submarine Warfare Officer in the United States Navy. He earned his Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.